Allegations Made Against a Member of Staff
Statement of Intent
Our Pre-school expects the highest standards from our staff at all times to ensure the safety of the children.
- To create a safe environment at the Pre-school.
- Respect and protect adults and children’s rights.
- Ensure that all staff are suitable to work in the Pre-school.
- Protect staff against malicious and false allegations.
The Pre-school will check and monitor its staff by:
- Vetting and clearance by Bucks County Council’s Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
- Monitoring of staff and other adults by Manager during sessions.
- Our daily procedures ensure staff avoid putting themselves in situations that may lead to allegations being made against them.
- We ensure that all parents know how to complain about staff or a volunteer within the Pre-school, which may include an allegation of abuse.
- Suspicions or allegations of child abuse against a member of staff will be made by the Pre-school to Ofsted (0300 123 1231) and to the Local Authority Designated Officer: 01296382070 Children & Young People safeguarding. Tel: 01296 387757.
- This will be done as soon as is reasonably practical, but at the latest within 14 days of the allegations being made.
- We follow the guidance of the Buckinghamshire Safeguarding Children Board when investigating any complaint that a member of staff or volunteer has abused a child.
- Allegations of child abuse against a member of staff will be treated in the strictest confidence. People who are authorised to know of the allegations in the Pre-school will be:
Rosie Jones – Pre-School Manager and Child Protection Officer
Sarah Gowers – Deputy Manager and Safeguarding Officer
Susie Chester – Committee Chairperson
Gemma Gillies – Child Protection Officer
- Allegations of child abuse made against the Manager should be made to the Child Protection Officer Gemma Gillies or if unavailable the Committee Chair Person Susie Chester.
- We ensure staff are supported and any investigation will be carried out objectively but in all cases the safety and wellbeing of the child is paramount
- Once an allegation has been made the Manager will contact the Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) as soon as possible (within 24 hours) for advice on how best to deal with the situation.
When the investigation is completed, the Pre-school will implement the Pre-school disciplinary proceedings to determine the future of the member of staff at the Pre-school.
OFSTED will be notified of the final outcome of any investigation within 48 hours of completion.
This policy was adopted by West Wycombe Pre-school Playgroup in October 2012. Policies are updated when necessary and reviewed on a yearly basis.
Reviewed and amended September 2019